Master of Health Administration
The online Master of Health Administration (MHA) program is designed for individuals who have successfully completed an undergraduate program of study in an associated field to allied health, healthcare management, business, or a closely related / equivalent field. The online MHA program is specifically tailored to meet the needs of those who are place bound, or who hold full-employment that prevents them from completing a master’s degree via traditional methods.
Those interested in the management of hospitals, long-term care facilities, physician’s practices, government health agencies, physicians, and other patient care providers are encouraged to enroll.
The online Master of Health Administration program requires successful completion of an undergraduate program of study in healthcare management, business, or any health-related field. Applicants must meet all SIU Graduate School admission requirements, including a minimum GPA of 2.7 on a 4.0 scale for the last 60 hours of undergraduate coursework.
To apply for the online MHA program, please review the program’s application information page for details on the application process.
The online Master of Health Administration program can be completed in approximately 24 months, or more, depending on your course completion rate. The online delivery method will be through distance education via the University's classroom management system, Desire2Learn (D2L).
CURRICULUM AND COURSES
The online Master of Health Administration degree requires 45 graduate credit hours. Students have the choice of an individual research project or a graduate residency / internship in a University-approved facility.
Check out the program’s curriculum and course sequence for an idea of what you can expect. The list of required required textbooks and links to graduate course syllabi provide more information about the coursework you will be taking.
This program offers continuous enrollment, so students may begin the program at any time. Part-time enrollment is available, though students are cautioned that course sequencing and prerequisites may mean a delay of a year while waiting for a course to be scheduled again.
The cost for the online Master of Health Administration program is determined by SIU’s Off-Campus tuition and fee structure. Please refer to the Off-Campus Tuition and Fees Calculator for additional information. Some courses will require the purchase of additional software or other materials.
Financial aid and scholarships may be available. Please visit the SIU Financial Aid website for more information.
WHY OUR ONLINE MASTER OF HEALTH ADMINISTRATION PROGRAM?
Mission, Vision, and Values
The mission of the MHA program is to prepare students for leadership roles in the healthcare industry.
The vision of the MHA program is to increase access to a premier graduate degree that produces graduates who are academically prepared to lead the healthcare industry.
The MHA program focuses on academic excellence by using a curriculum that meets the expectations of industry leaders and the premier accrediting body of graduate-level healthcare management education. The program strives to be compassionate and understanding to students by offering an online education that assures access to a premier graduate healthcare management degree that is accessible to place-bound and working adult students.
- Prepare the student to practice as healthcare executives/managers by offering a balanced curriculum and quality didactic/experiential instruction.
- Provide didactic and experiential opportunities that lead to research in educational, professional, or healthcare issues relating to health administration and/or management.
- Offer avenues to students for development and growth within the healthcare administrative profession.
- Offer avenues for students to develop and apply skills in effective communication, analytical and critical thinking, and problem solving necessary for successful administrative roles in healthcare practice.
- Provide an accessible opportunity for regional, national, and global health care/business professionals to acquire a terminal degree, especially for those who are place-bound or holding full-time employment that prevents them from completing a master’s degree via traditional methods.
- Provide an accessible opportunity for regional, national, and global health care/business professionals to acquire the necessary means to succeed in a global and diverse workforce/workplace.
- Provide an accessible opportunity to pursue graduate education that will prepare individuals for entry into related doctoral programs.
For questions, or to request more information, please contact the Allied Health Specialist, Robert Broomfield, at email@example.com or 618-453-7287.
View the Graduate Catalog for more information about the University and Graduate School’s policies and requirements.
For additional information regarding other online programs at SIU, go to the Office of Extended Campus.